Wolfe Tone Memorial Park

Wolfe Tone Memorial Park is located on the site of an old graveyard adjoining St. Mary's church, Mary Street. The Church itself was designed by Sir William Robinson architect of the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham in 1697.

Wolfe Tone Memorial Park is located on the site of an old graveyard adjoining St. Mary's church, Mary Street. The Church itself was designed by Sir William Robinson architect of the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham in 1697. In 1763 Theobold Wolfe Tone who was born in Stafford Street, now Wolfe Tone Street, was baptised in this church. The land was deconsecrated and transferred to Dublin Corporation for use as a public park in 1966 when gravestones were relocated around the perimeter of the park.

One of the objectives of the HARP framework plan was to develop a network of high quality formal and informal civic spaces and parks. Work has been carried out at St. Michan’s Park, Fr. Matthew Square, Ormond Square and Smithfield. The newly designed Wolfe Tone Park is a welcome addition to this network of city centre civic spaces.
The new layout with its open plaza approach provides a perfect setting for St. Mary’s Church, which itself has undergone redevelopment. The grass/lawn element complements the high quality granite paving and seating while the enclosure on the Jervis Street side is achieved by the planting of semi-mature Limes. The positive public reaction to the new design is reflected in the large lunchtime crowds using the park. It has also served as a venue for various markets and the City Council’s ‘Music in the Park’ Programme.

On 10th July 2002 the Rt. Hon. The Lord Mayor of Dublin Councillor Dermot Lacey officially opened Wolfe Tone Memorial Park at Jervis Street.The redevelopment of the Park involved Dublin City Council’s City Architects Dept, Public Lighting Dept., and Parks and Landscape Services.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) on 09/17 at 03:05 PM
Commenting is not available in this section entry.

Next entry: Broadstone Park

Previous entry: James Joyce Bridge

<< Back to main