Meeting House Square

  • Location: Temple Bar
  • Architect: Paul Keogh Architects
  • Completed: 1996

Location: Temple Bar
Architect: Paul Keogh Architects
Client: Temple Bar Properties
Completed: 1996

Designed by Paul Keogh Architects, Meeting House Square lies at the confluence of several pedestrian routes through Temple Bar. It forms the heart of the secondary meandering path, running from the new Curved Street through the quarter’s maze, that supports the main East-West axis of Fleet Street and East Essex Street.
It was built on a previously derelict plot of land, most recently used as a surface car park and takes its name from buildings which form two of its four sides - the Presbyterian Meeting House (1728), now the Ark and the nineteenth century Quaker Meeting House, transformed into the Irish Film Centre in 1992.

More of an outdoor room than a square, it was designed primarily as a space for cultural activities and open-air performance, including film screenings and theatre productions. Originally MHS should have opened out further onto East Essex street and would have been supported by the linear pedestrian throughway that the Poddle Bridge promised but these plans had to be revised owing to the protection of two listed buildings at the Essex street end and the refusal of planning permission respectively. It is bounded on all four sides by cultural facilities - the Ark to the east, the Gallery of Photography and the Irish Film Centre to the south, a mixed-use building housing a restaurant and the Gaiety School of Acting to the west and the DIT School of Photography / National Photography Archive to the north.

Posted by Reflecting City Team on Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Projects • (0) Comments • (0) TrackbacksPermalink
Page 1 of 1 pages